Q & A
About our shop
- I would like to stay the day before diving, but by what time do I have to arrive at the accommodation?
- The clubhouse is open 24 hours a day, but we ask first-time visitors to check in by 7:00 pm.
- Do you have medicine for seasickness?
- Yes. We have medicine for seasickness. It's free of charge. Please let us know if you need any.
- Is it possible to rent diving equipment?
- Yes. Equipment rental is available. If you want to rent any equipment, please tell us when you make a reservation.
- Is there a hooded vest or boat coat available for rental?
- We do not provide them, so please bring your own.
- Is there a parking lot?
- Yes. There are twenty spaces free of charge. If our parking lot is full, we can arrange parking near by the shop, free of charge.
- Is there a cancellation fee?
- A cancellation fee will be charged if you cancel your reservation two days before your booking. However, if we cannot dive due to bad sea conditions, no charge will be incurred.
1. On the day of the booking, the cancellation fee will be 100% of the cost.
2. On the day before the dive, the cancellation fee will be \1 000.
3. Two days before the dive, the cancellation fee will be \5000.
- If I go by train, can you pick me up at the station?
- Yes, you can. If you are coming by train, we offer a free shuttle service from Izukyu Shimoda Station to our store.
- If I go by train, can you pick me up at the station?
- Yes. If you arrive at our shop, by car before 8:15 a.m., or if you arrive at Izukyu Shimoda Station on the 8:51 a.m. train, it is possible to dive that day.
- Is there a student discount?
- Yes there is. If you show us your student ID card, you will be given a discount.
- Are meals provided?
- Please request lunch in the morning of the day. (660 yen per meal)
Breakfast and dinner are generally not provided, so please use nearby restaurants or convenience stores. Please note that lunch will not be provided for those who register for 2 dives in the afternoon or 4 dives on certain days due to schedule constraints. Please finish before the meeting time or bring a snack that you can eat at the dock.
- When arriving by train, what is the latest time that you can pick me up at the station?
- We will pick you up at Izukyu Shimoda Station until 22:14.
- Can I use my credit card?
- Yes, we accept various credit cards, Paypay, LINE Pay and AliPay.
About Mikomoto Diving
- Is it possible to dive at Mikomoto Island with less than 30 certified dives?
- No, it is not. Because of the sea conditions and the style of diving, it is not possible to dive at Mikomoto Island without at least 30 certified dives. No exceptions.
- When is the best season to see hammerhead sharks?
- The best time to see hammerhead sharks is from July to October. However, it is possible to see them at other times throughout the year. But these sightings vary depending on the year.
- What is the water temperature?
- Between July and September, water temperature ranges between 20 to 25 degrees. From April to June and from October to December, water temperature ranges between 16 and 20 degrees.
- Is there always a strong current around Mikomoto Island?
- No, there isn't. However, is it highly likely there will be a strong current.
- How long does it take to get to Mikomoto Island by boat?
- It takes about 15 minutes.
- What is your diving style?
- Basically, it will be drift diving.
- How long is each diving time?
- The maximum diving time is 35 minutes which includes a safe stop.
- Do sharks ever attack a diver?
- No, they never attack divers at Mikomoto Island. Many people have a fear of sharks because of the false images of them in movies and on television. However, sharks are shy around humans so they don't attack.
- I am worried about seasickness. Have other divers gotten seasick?
- If you are worried about seasickness, please do not drink alcohol the day before you dive. It's also a good idea to get a good night sleep and take some medicine in the morning.
- When the best season in Mikomoto island?
- In the spring (February to May), large migratory fish swim in schools, a powerful sight.
Summer and fall (June to October) are the best seasons for hammerhead sharks!
From November onwards, the clarity of the water is more stable, and with the recent rise in water temperature, the sighting rate of hammers is increasing even in winter.
- If the sea conditions are poor and we cannot make the dive at Mikomoto Island, is it possible to dive at another site?
- Yes, it is possible to dive at another site if you make a request to do so. However, where we choose to dive will depend on the sea conditions on that day. So, for example, if the west wind is too strong, we will dive on the east side of the peninsula.
- Is it possible to dive by myself without a guide?
- No. Diving by yourself without a guide is not possible around Mikomoto Island.
- Is it possible to dive when I'm menstruating?
- Menstruating does not affect diving, however, if you are not feeling well, we do not recommend it.
- Is it possible to dive if it rains?
- Although it will not be canceled if it rains, there could be times when the dive is canceled due to other weather conditions.
- Are there any age restrictions?
- There is no age limit, but a doctor's note is required for those over 60 years old. Minors are required to bring a parental consent form.
- Is there a shower and toilet on the boat?
- There is not a shower on the boat, but there is a toilet onboard.
- How many people are in each diving group?
- At our shop, there are up to six people in each diving group.
- Is it possible to dive at Mikomoto Island if I haven't been diving for a year?
- If you haven't been diving for over a year, please dive at another diving site first. Then after that dive, we would love for you to join us diving at Mikomoto Island.
- I'm going to be late for the meeting.
- At Mikomoto Diving, the meeting time is fixed according to the ship's schedule, so if you are late for the scheduled meeting time, you may not be able to participate in the dive that day.
If you are going to be late for the meeting time, please call us immediately. (+81-558-62-4105)
- Is it possible to use a line during the descent?
- There is not a line for diving at Mikomoto, only drift diving is possible.
- How many dives can I do in a day?
- Usually two dives per day.
The third dive will be determined by the number of divers and sea conditions. On the Specific date, it is possible to do up to 4 dives per day. Please contact us for details.
- If I have a pre-existing medical condition or I am over 60, what doctor's note should I bring?
- Please check the medical check in the site;
About the surrounding facilities
- Are there any hot springs near the shop?
- Yes, there are. If you are interested in going to a hot spring, we can recommend some. Please ask our staff for details.
- Is it possible to go sightseeing after the dive?
- Yes, it is. Shimoda and Minamiizu have some very famous tourist attractions. For details about where to go and what to see, please ask our staff.
- Are there any restaurants near the restaurant?
- There is an eel restaurant, an Italian restaurant, a Japanese restaurant, an izakaya (Japanese style pub), and a yakiniku (grilled meat) restaurant within a 10-minute walk from our restaurant.
Please note that it gets crowded during the summer season. There are also two convenience stores.